Monday, August 26, 2013

"Mom why are you fad?"

Yesterday afternoon we had a gorgeous thunderstorm. Alianna and I just sat and looked out at it. After it was over, the back patio was flooded. This of course, required that the kiddos go out and play in it.

he's trying to swim..in an inch of water

"mom it's like a beach"
"best day ever"


We stayed outside for a while, it was gorgeous. I was sitting on the porch swing with Bryson on my lap and Aliann and Kendall on either side of me thinking life is grand.
 Alianna turns to me and asks "Why are you fad?"
Me" Fad?"
Alianna; " oh I mean fat."
ME: "What? Why would you say that?
Alianna ( with a look like duh): " Isn't that when you're all puffed out?"

I am very proud to say I did not burst into tears or hysterics and go run 5 miles, but calmly explained that you shouldn't call someone fat. Yes Alianna even when you are puffed out, it is still mean and will hurt there feelings. She contritely replied that she would never say a mean thing like that again. Sweet, lesson taught.
We sat quietly for 5 minutes enjoying nature. 

Then Alianna says;" Mom why are you soooo big across?"
Me; " what?"
Alianna ( exasperated at my stupidity): " You know, how you're so big across, other moms aren't that big across"
Me ( saying nothing and wondering how I got to the point in life when my daughter has to inform me to lose a few)
Alianna ( thinking she's in trouble backpedals) : " But I'm not saying you're fat Mom!! Just that you are bigger across then other moms!"

Excuse me while I go run 5 miles......



4 comments:

  1. Explain to her about how when you have babies your body has to change to fit them in. It takes 9 months for your body to save nutrients, feed baby, and give cushion. Let her know that it takes even longer to get everything back into place and that you can't always get all the way back to how you were. Let her know that moms place their kids above their looks and its worth the sacrifice. You shape how they think and you don't want her ashamed of her body or to stop asking you questions. And stop beating yourself up! You're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Kellie! Thanks for the reminder, we did talk about how mommies bodies change after having babies

      Delete
  2. I had that exact same conversation with Hunter just two or three weeks ago. Hunter: Mom Why are you so fat? Me: Why would you say that? Hunter: Oh, Oh, I mean why is your bottom so fat? (Like some how that's better?) Me: Well, Hunter it's not nice to make comments about how people look, other then to stay how nice they look. It's not just you, it's all of us mothers :) But it is a good teaching moment. I'd rather that happen in the confines of my home then in public with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! that is true, it could have been really bad in public

      Delete