Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Superheroes, quilts, and running till I die

SO I am trying to keep this updated with our happenings every week or 2. Let's be honest, it will probably every month or two, but for now I'm trying to keep our weekly updates since this is the only journaling I do.

Kendall has recently become obsessed with superheroes. A couple days ago Alianna was spending the night with grandma and grandpa and ArJay was at work, so it was just me and the boys. Kendall wanted me to play superheroes with him. He has a little people version of Batman, Superman, and Buzz Lightyear. I tried to act out a story but apparently "playing superheroes" means we just fly around making whooshing noises and announce our name" I BatMan!" " I Superman!". And sometimes we rescue the princesses, but mostly we just fly. yesterday, while Alianna was at school, Kendall kept asking to watch Batman and Superman. ArJay says it was the proudest moment of his life. Netflix has this Justice league show with a bunch of superheroes but Kendall yelled at it anytime Batman or Superman wasn't in the scene.
watching the show and acting it out with his mini figures
The funniest superhero incident was last night We were kneeling down for night time prayer and asked who wanted to say it. Kendall yelled " Batman say it!" He was holding his little people Batman at the time. HE held Batman up and proceeded to say his first prayer completely unassisted( if you don't count batman's help). He didn't want to go to bed after that, so ArJay said that Batman needed to sleep. Kendall promptly ran into his room and when ArJay put him in his bed, he tucked batman in the covers with him. Saying full prayers and no tears at bedtime, apparently Batman really does have superpowers....

I am starting to get back to stuff I love to do after this baby (IE running and sewing) and am excited about it. Makes me feel like me again, instead of just a milk cow:). My very good friend Shanae is having her first baby. We are super excited since we have known them for about 5 years and would probably consider them our closest "Couple friends". Her baby shower is this weekend, and since she's such a good friend, I put a lot of pressure on myself to totally rock the gift. They are having a boy and doing a "superhero" themed nursery. ( if you knew Chad at all this will not shock you in the least). So I found this awesome rag quilt Idea on pinterest ( what did we do before pinterest and facebook??)

Superhero quilt
this is the original image I found
So with just that image and my basic BASIC knowledge of how a rag quilt goes together, I sat down and did some math to figure out how much of each material I needed. I ran to the fabric store and crossed me fingers that my high school math hadn't failed me!

my finished product
Not bad. It looks better than my camera phone image, but I still wish I'd done a little better. The light blue has stars on it, I'm not a dummy and put two white squares next to each other. I almost don't want to give it,  I feel bad that it isn't exactly right. But i keep reminding myself that it's a gift and Shanae know how not quite right I am anyways :)

Final update note. I started running again last night. OIY! I had delusions of grandeur last week when reading this book called " Run Less, Run Faster". IT's a cool book that says you should only run 3 days a week even when training for a marathon and lays out the plans for a marathon, a half, a 10k,and a 5 k. When you are reading it and not actually doing it, it sounds like cake. I thought "self, you can totally run this marathon program and run that marathon on March 1st in Phoenix. That's like 6 1/2 months away, plenty of time". Then I actually went out running yesterday for the first time post baby....maybe I'll aim for the half marathon instead.:) I only made it 2 miles and that was with 2 walking breaks. I thought I was bouncing back pretty well post baby, apparently my body does not agree when in running form. I need a moment of silence for my poor body, apparently my stamina and any running shape I had died with Bryson's birth. I'm sure I'll get there again, it might just take longer than I planned in my head. But doesn't everything go more smoothly in your head or is that just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment