Saturday, August 24, 2013

It's not me...it's my thyroid

Geez, that was a rough day yesterday. You know what I mean, from sunup it's weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth? And the kids had a rough time too :) Seriously though, they were just fighting, whining, and throwing tantrums." Mom he has my toy!" "She took my Apple slice" He's talking to me!" "She's looking at me" " He wiped his boogers on me" The highlight, for me, was during the boys naptime.

I got out all my beads and stuff to make "jewelries" with Alianna so we would have some redeeming feature to the day. So I am also doing laundry and tell her to just wait a minute while I put away the last load. Of course, she was hyped up on whatever crazy train they were all on and started shaking a container filled with beads. Feel free to start laughing now.... Next thing I hear is the sound of a hundred tiny clear beads scattering across the entire front living space. Awesome. I lost it and yelled " ALIANNA MAE That's WHY you need to listen to me?!! I'm not just talking for kicks and giggles, there's a reason I didn't want you playing with those!!"  My dear sweet girl looks up at me with teary eyes and says" Sorry mommy I won't ever play with jeweleries again and I won't watch any shows today and I'll just go into my room". Crap. I just made my sweet daughter cry. The words you're looking for right now? Mother of the year.

So I calmly sat down and snuggled her and I apologized profusely and we discussed why she couldn't do jewelry that day because she had not listened( I literally had just had a talk with both of them 2 hours before about consequences for not listening, I'm not an orge parent who just throws down consequences with no warning promise!). I told her I would always love her and she didn't need to hole up, but she did need to help clean up.

See, that is the real tragedy of the situation, I had to sweep and clean my floor when I just did that last month :)Of course, this is the day that Kendall one napped about 3.5 minutes and he has been screaming in his room so I let the little hooligan out. He proceeded to wreck all kinds of havoc while we tried to sweep and pick up the tiny clear beads. Don't worry, I got at least half of them in the hour I spent laying flat on the floor and squinting my eyes in search. I'm sure when Bryson starts crawling in another 6 months he'll find any renegade beads I missed. Hm..maybe I should do another sweep before then eh?
it USED to be full. Yes those are bits of goldfish cracker in there too, don't judge me
Of course another highlight was an hour after the bead incident of 2013 as they were playing with the empty laundry tub. Alianna climbed on top and it literally broke right underneath her. After quickly assessing that she was not hurt and holding her because it obviously freaked her out, I broke into hysterical giggles. They became worse as Kendall became bound and determined to fit the broken pieces of the tub back together.
I told them we should name the tub Humpty Dumpty.  The kids looked at me like I was a few screws loose, which by that point in the day, I was! At least it's never boring in our house and more full of laughter than tears ( on most days!)
I'll make it fit!
But I also learned something yesterday that I am going to use as an automatic out for any of my shortcomings. I got back some lab results that I have Hypothroidism. This means my thryoid doesn't work enough. I have actually had it multiple times in my life and it manifests differently each time. I had it in high school and into college, but it randomly went away. Then I had it in both of my boys' pregnancies. A lot of the early symptoms are like early pregnancy ( nausea, weight gain, fatigue, dizziness) so I never thought I I had it, but my awesome OBGYN checked me both times. Winner winner chicken dinner. I'm very lucky that you can just take a pill everyday and it becomes almost a non issue. A lot of women get it in pregnancy and it usually goes away after giving birth.  Well, I went in for my 6 week post Bryson check up and my OBGYN who knows me well was like, " let's just check". Sure enough, it's still around and actually got worse so my dosage will be upped. The thing with hypothyroidism is it regulates EVERYTHING so everything goes just a little screwy when it's sluggish like mine. Here are just a few symptoms from my pamphlet:

-Fatigue( so it's not just the newborn baby making me look like an extra for the walking dead)
-Weakness ( oh that's the ONLY reason I can't run, not that I'm out of shape)
-hair loss ( so there's a reason I've had a sudden resemblance to Gollum from Lord of the Rings..)
-Memory Loss( HA! Not just new baby brain damage making me forget dates and if I'm wearing a bra )
-Irritability ( it's not my fault I sound more and more like John McEnroe)
-Weight Gain ( really if nothing else, that will put anyone over the edge)

And that's just the top 6, there are about 15 more. After reading this I informed Ar Jay that I am not accountable for any failings or wrongdoings I have done or anything wrong that goes on within 20 feet of me. I can blame pretty much anything on my thyroid. I'm thinking of making a shirt that says " It's not me..It's my thyroid", so if I do anything screwy or offend anyone I have an out. ArJay informed me that I was already using the " I just had a baby' excuse for any problems. I say that just means I have a backup, or maybe I can be twice as bad now...

Darling husband that he is, he just smiles and nods. Good thing I have him and my darling kiddos to keep me from a one way ticket to crazy town. Really how can you feel anything but joy looking at this face..

LOVE that face!

Look at those rolls! Thinking he needs to be a sumo wrestler for Halloween

Maybe he'll be Zoolander since he's perfected " blue steel"



1 comment:

  1. Maggie, we MUST get together and make those shirts. I feel like a just read a page out of my journal (if I kept one). We need to get together for some thyroid, crazy women on upped meds partying.

    ReplyDelete