Sunday, March 16, 2014

Our Love Story Part V: Since you went away

If you are just joining me and want the whole story, make sure and read these first:
Part I: First Meetings
Part II: Let's Just Be Friends
Part III: First Date
Part IV: Let's Just be Friends (Again)

ArJay has been gone a couple weeks and I write him a letter. It is mostly funny little stories and a few uplifting comments. ( He says that was the first letter he got out in the mission field in Philadelphia and it brought him such comfort when he was so scared and nervous about the unknown). We write back and forth a couple times. Then he sends a letter and kindly asks if we can not write anymore, because I am too distracting and he needs to concentrate on being a missionary.

What the crap??!! I wasn't saying anything wrong or inappropriate but fine! 


Months go by and suffice it to say, I have lots of fun in college.
Hanging out with Mike and Sarah
At Dances.. ( we're soo hot right now)
On Choir Tours...

In plays... ( This was Steel magnolias, thus the wicked awesome 80s clothes and Hair)
This is right before a show called Swing. Amber doesn't know it, but she is going to get proposed to ON STAGE tonight ( BTW, apparently I rocked the stupid duck face before it was cool)
 I also go on lots of dates, make some life long friends, and generally just have a blast. I honestly don't think about ArJay much, except when I hear the song " Here without you". The words are especially poignant now that he is gone and I'm here without him.

Randomly, I get an email from a Candice Gamble. She says she knows this is kind of weird, but she is ArJay's sister and he keeps talking about how awesome I am and she'd like to get to know me. She says the next time I'm in Tucson we should hang out. I reply back that I am coming to town on Thursday for a CPR class and again on Sunday for a friend's mission farewell. She replies:

" Well you don't need to drive twice, you should just stay with us."

"Is that weird?" I've only meet them each a couple times, will I look like a creepy stalker to go stay with them for days?

We decide it's fine and I go stay with the Gamble's and thoroughly fall in love with each of them. I end up spending a day with each of them. The first day I hang out with Candice and her friends and go dancing ( with her would-be spouse Clay although they were "JUST Friends" HA!). Then ArJay's dad takes me horseback riding for the first time in my life. ( I came back a couple times and ArJay's dad still jokes that he dated me more then ArJay did). Then I spend an day with his Mom and she hauls out all the baby albums and mission letters and we just talk and I think we baked something. I decide I don't care if ArJay thinks I'm a crazy Psycho. I'm not, it was Candice's idea, and I would hang out with them again because they are awesome. ( ArJay says that was the weirdest weekly letter he got on his mission " We are all here and Maggie has been staying with us. We love her" But he didn't think I was a creepy stalker )
That's my adorable mother In Law Diane
For my 20th birthday I am staying In Thatcher for the Summer and I have an unexpected HUGE birthday party. I think literally every single person in town came to my house.
My cute roommates at the time: (from Left) Me, Jenny, Janene, and Brooke

20 Baby! 

That is Jared and yes, they are actually throwing him into that giant bean bag called a Love Sac. It's a good thing we were in college because we were all idiots.

But the most surprising thing I get is a letter from ArJay full of fun pictures.


I'll give you a hint, he's the white guy in the back
Again, He's the white guy. Getting the theme here?
All class

Now it is February. ArJay will come home in June. I am dating a guy pretty seriously. He's actually my first real boyfriend. He is incredibly sweet and makes me feel beautiful. I really needed him after the last boy I really liked stomped my heart when he told the guys "I wish I could have Maggie's personality in Janene( My GORGEOUS roommate)'s body." That was of course AFTER he kissed me. Classy.  So this guy, let's call him Tom, who constantly tells me how beautiful I am and amazing and all other good adjectives really heals my heart. He starts talking serious, like the forever kind. I am driving up to Utah for a theater festival with Amber talking about it and realize I'm not ready for that. First, I will turn 21 in June and I have always wanted to go on a mission. My second thought surprises even me:

I want to see ArJay when he gets home and I want to be Single when I do.

I break up with Tom. It is miserable, he lives right next door and everyone continues to hang out and we are constantly put in each other's paths. I can't wait for summer.

It is May and ArJay writes me a letter. I write him back. He writes again and it basically says " Never mind, I can't write you, you are too distracting. See you when I get home" PPSSSHHTT Fine!

I talk to my new bishop about starting to get papers together to go on a Mission. He tells me we should "just wait until your friend gets home". I'm super annoyed. The twit won't even write me, I'm not going to wait around for him. I want to go on a mission.

In June, I have a large gathering at my house ( otherwise known as a Thursday night since there was always a large gathering at my house). There is an unknown number calling me. I answer and can't quite here the person on the line. And then I realize who it is:

"ArJAY!!"

"Actually, it's still Elder Gamble."

His parents and sister had flown out to pick him up from his mission and Candice had convinced him to call me. We talk for a few minutes but I can't really hear him and it's weird because he is still officially a missionary so I don't know what I should or shouldn't say to him.  I tell him I'll see him whenever he gets back and hang up.
Candice, his dad Scott, and ArJay in some awesome cathedral in Philadelphia when they picked him up

Candice snuck a picture of him calling me. Apparently, he went outside and prowled the parking lot like a caged animal for the whole call

I sit and ponder the reality that I have actually talked to him and heard his voice for the first time in 2 years. AND I will see him in a week! It seems surreal and exciting and nerve-wracking all at once. I don't know if I can wait a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment