Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Our Love Story Part II: Let's Just be Friends

If you haven't already,  you should read part 1 first here:
PART I: First meetings

It's Tuesday of my first week in College and I am rushing to my first English class. I heard my teacher is pretty strict so I do not want to get on her bad side. Guess who is standing outside waiting to to go into my English class?

"Wow, here comes trouble." ArJay says

My thoughts exactly. I think

My new friend Marquette is also standing there so I go sit with her and of course ArJay sits on my other side. All through the lecture he keeps whispering to me and passing me notes. I furiously whisper

"Stop! I'm trying to pay attention!"

Right then, Mrs. Flamm looks up at me as she is telling everyone that she wants us "anxiously engaged in this class"

"Is there something you would like to share with the class, Ms. Weir?"

Drowning in mortification, I mumble no. I turn to ArJay, about to give him the 3rd degree when I glance at the last note he wrote:

" She convinced me, should we call your parents or mine first?"

How could I be mad at that? The flirty dialogue continues all week. On Saturday, he comes by and asks to talk.

"I really like you Maggie, but I don't really want to date anyone seriously. I'm going on a mission next year, can we just be friends?"

"Ok sounds good"

I don't want to date anyone seriously either, I have way too much fun planned. Of course, 5 minutes later he really liked this cute little blond girl. That hurts my ego a little that maybe he just didn't want to date ME Seriously. But, being the magnanimous person I am, I get over it quickly and even help him ask her out in a cute way. We really are best friends.

We are best friends when his Mom and sister and nephew come to visit and he introduces them to me first ( even before his girlfriend at the time, whoops!)

We are best friends when a group of us are watching a movie on the lawn and the sprinklers come on and everyone rushes to save their dates and tv and movies and ArJay wakes me up ( yes I fell asleep anywhere back in college) and saves me from getting soaked.

We are best friends when ArJay learns heartbreaking family news and I sit up with him all night talking it out.

My new roommates Amber and Sarah ask me why we don't " just get married already". But we are just friends.
That's Sarah, Amber, then ME when we went to Disneyland

You know, just a  typical Tuesday....

It is mid November and I am the sickest I have ever been up until that point in life( I hadn't yet known the joys of morning sickness). I am shuffling down the sidewalk to go ask Mrs. Flamm for an extension on the paper due tomorrow. ArJay sees me and rushes over.

" What's wrong?"

" I'm sick, I'm going to ask for an extension. Do you think she'll give it to me?"

" Just let her see your zombie face and she'll give you until next year"

I go to punch him but can't muster the strength. I say goodbye and tell him thanks for walking me but he'd better hurry so he is not late for his next class.

When I come out 10 minutes later, ArJay is standing waiting for me.

" What are you doing, don't you have a test?" ( Yes we knew each other's schedules that well)

He shakes his head like I'm an idiot " Like I'm going to let you shuffle home by yourself."

He half drags, half carries me back to my room. Once my roommates come in and he has ascertained that someone will stay with me until my mom gets there ( he also made me call my mom to come get me), he goes to take the test and eat dinner.

My roommates are all in the mood for hot chocolate and I assure them that I will just be laying on the couch and they are free to leave. Of course, ArJay comes back when they are gone. He is furious.

" They just left You!"

" Well, yeah. I wasn't going to drink hot Chocolate."

"But someone should have stayed!"

"And done what? Stared at me while I moaned about being miserable?"

"No, taken care of you and distracted you"

 "With what?I'm pretty sick"

His brilliant Idea is to get out the board games and we play Sorry. Or, more accurately, he plays while I watch and laugh at his silly jokes and antics. My roommates come back and ArJay reads them the riot act about what horrible rotten people they are for leaving me. I assure him it's fine and he could go. Apparently, he no longer trusts Amber and Sarah with my care, because he stays until my Mom shows up hours later. He helps me out to the car like I'm an invalid (although I did find out I had walking pneamonia so it was pretty bad) and insists on bringing out my bags. As we are driving away my Mom asks:

" So...you two are just friends?"

Yeah we are, but now I'm having a hard time remembering why...


1 comment:

  1. I love this! I didn't know any of this and it's so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete