Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Our Love Story part III: First Date

IF you missed them, You'll want to go back and read
Part I: First Meetings
Part II: Let's Just be Friends

It is a few days before Thanksgiving Break and I am working up the courage to ask this super cute boy to the Winter Formal ( it was a girl's ask guys dance). We are all sitting around our dorm common room and I oh-so-suavely blurt out:

"Hey Joe( name changed to protect the innocent), do you want to go to Winter Formal with me?"

Joe looks at me with a surprised and disgusted face.

"NO, and I already have a date" Ugh "No AND"

IN the most casual voice I can; "OH that's cool, just checking, in case you didn't have a date, I didn't want you to be without one, that would suck right? Yeah so you have one so I'll just ask someone else, someone who hasn't been asked obviously. Because you have been right? " * Face palm*

"Yes..." Exit Joe stage right, swiftly

Now I am beyond embarrassed because not only did THAT just happen, everyone was still in the room for it. We are all headed to our friend's family's house for dessert. ArJay quickly realizes that I am in no mood to party and suggests we go for a walk. It is super cold and windy and I am feeling like a martyr and insist that I "will be fine"

"Whatever, grab your coat Maggie, we can huddle together."

So we do and ArJay listens to me whine and cry for the better part of half an hour as only a melodramatic angst-ridden young girl. You know the drill: " Nobody likes me!" "Why am I always just the friend?" " What's wrong with me?"

"Nothing is wrong with you, are amazing. The boys at this school are dumb and blind."

Eye roll "Right, you know me better then anyone and you didn't want to date me."

"OK let's go on a date."

Massive Eye Roll  " I don't want a pity date ArJay, I'd rather have no date then a pity date."

He grabs me by the shoulders and forces me to look in his eyes " This is not a pity date, this is the opposite of a pity date."

A shiver goes up my spine, I try to cover "Geez,it's really cold. Let's go back."

WE go back to my dorm and ArJay says he is leaving in the morning for Utah then proceeds to give me every conceivable number I could possibly use to call him if I "need anything" ( seriously he included his Dad's cell and his Grandma's home number). So the date is set for the Saturday after we come back from Break. ( This is not the Winter Formal, ArJay already had a date. Rod bailed me out AGAIN and was my Winter Formal date)

It's finally Saturday. I have been ready for half an hour and am pacing the floor like a caged tiger waiting for ArJay. He shows up and that grin would give the Chesire cat a run for his money.

"Are you ready?" Rubbing his hands together manically

"Sure?" Said like a question because my trepidation has spiked

We first go over to the institute and play Foosball. Corny as it sounds, this was kinda a thing for us, we played all the time. We trash talk and play and all my nerves fly out the window. I don't need to be nervous, this is ArJay, I know ArJay. ArJay is safe and amazing and thoughtful and fun. Then he blindfolds us ( us being Amber and I. Amber and her boyfriend doubled with us) and my nerves go up again. We drive around for a long time. ArJay makes a frustrated noise and takes off my blindfold to explain that the dark windows in front of us are the cute little Italian restaurant that was supposed to open especially for us. Apparently they forgot. I laugh at how frustrated he is and his cute pout.

"It's fine. We can just go to R & R Pizza."

He Mumbles "It was SUPPOSED to be romantic and intimate. Not surrounded by everyone and their mom."

The remarkably thing about dinner is that ArJay doesn't watch the basketball game that is on in R & R pizza. If you have meet him, you know what a sports fanatic he is. It is a little disconcerting. I was having so much fun and feeling comfortable just hanging out with my friend ArJay. But "Date ArJay" is giving me his undivided attention and I get a little thrill of power that he really cares and this is a real live date.

"Blindfolds on one last time"

We drive around again. Then, still with blindfolds on, the boys leave me and Amber standing against the car and say they will be right back. And we wait....and wait.. and are both nervous talking. We have just started to thoroughly creep ourselves out when I hear footsteps. We are both convinced that a manically mountain man is coming to get us and I start jumping around.

"Hey it's just me, sorry to scare you."

" Geez! You nearly scared the pee out of me!"

Muffled laughter" Ok, take my hand but keep your blindfold on."

"What kind of crap date is this? Creeping me out by leaving me defense-less. What if a mountain man did come? And now he's leading me up who knows where. Maybe I don't know ArJay, what if he has been hiding his crazy and we are coming up to a cliff or something..."

My crazy thoughts are cut off when he takes off my blindfold and reveals that we are at the 50 yard line of the football field and there are candles and music.

" I really wish I could have taken you to Winter Formal, but can I have this dance now?"

I melt a little but somehow get my arms to function and lift them to his. We dance for a few songs, not talking just holding each other. I am amazed at how..right it feels." Here without you" by 3 doors down comes on. ArJay says: " I love this song" Just as I think "I bet ArJay picked this one, he loves it"
I know that because this is my best friend.

Wait this is my best friend, I shouldn't be holding him like this.I start getting nervous and look around for something to talk about. The moon is full and bright.

"Wow that is beautiful huh?"

He's looking right at me "Yeah it really is"

Then he kisses me. At first I freeze. My brain is exploding with thoughts "Gack! You are getting kissed, This is your first kiss EVER! And it's with ArJay! Your best friend! That's so crazy and weird and awesome and this is so romantic!" At this point, I realize that I am not really taking part in said first kiss ever. I swiftly tell my inner thoughts to shut up and kiss him back.


No comments:

Post a Comment