Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Bryson's pre-birth story

I need to give a little background on Bryson's birth.  I went in for my 38 week appointment and my doctor reminded me that she would be out of town the 29th( my due date was the 30th). Apparently in my warped pregnancy brain I thought she was just leaving for the day, but no she was leaving the 29th for 2 weeks.  So she informed me very slowly( maybe she could see the look of pregnancy confusion) that that meant I either had to have him that next week, or she wouldn't be able to deliver him. Gack! I LOOOOVEEE my doctor and did not enjoy my labor of death( 49 hours) with Alianna from another doctor so I REALLY wanted to have her deliver me. I was also wary of being induced because I was induced with Alianna and that was nightmare. But I was induced with Kendall and it was totally fine. She said we didn't have to make any decisions yet, I could come back on Wednesday( the 26th) and see where we were at and make a decision them.
With all my stubbornness, I decided I wasn't going to make it to Wednesday and I was going to make him come out before then. Becuase I can totally control that, it's just a matter of will right? Ha! I went home and swam every day, did the spicy food, the breast pump, I even tried running.All through my "jog" I kept singing the  "everyday I'm shuffaling" song  in my head and imaging that hamster commercial. Then I came to the sad realization that small rodents and Grandma's could run faster than I could at that point.
SO of course I still had not had him on Wednesday and went in to the appointment. I was going for the hail mary and gonna have her strip my membranes, but she wouldn't do it because I was GBS positive and there was a risk of infection. SUCK! But I was a 3 and 50-60% effaced. She says, again it's totally what I want, but if I want her to deliver we should set up an induction for thursday or friday because she was leaving Saturday morning.  I said let's do it. I had wrestled with it all week, but it came down to ArJay's comment. He reminded me that both the others were late and induced, so i'd probably end up getting induced anyways next week( he was getting big) and it would be with some random doctor I don't know. So get induced now with a doctor I love, or next week with a stranger. Plus, I was nervous about being GBS positive, I had b\never had that with the other two. You have to get 2 doses of the antibiotics 4 hours apart during active labor for that. I actually had a cousin who died from GBS after living only 12 hours in 1991 because my aunt wasn't tested or treated for it, so I was very concerned about getting both doses and since we're in Vail now, I was worried "what if" it takes too long to come in from Vail and we miss the doses. ANother concern in Vail was what if ArJay was at work 2 hours away and I went into labor in the middle of the night and stuck in Vail with 2 kids.  SO after much teeth gnashing and heart wrenching, i decided it was better and safer to get induced. My doctor said he was plenty big, I was already at a 3 and it was totally safe.
We set it up taht I would come Friday morning at 5:30 am. But she called back 10 minutes after I left the office adn asked if I could come in Thursday night instead so that we could get a little jump start and make sure he comes on Friday( that would have really sucked to get induced then have him on saturday after she left).
So Thursday afternoon we dropped the kids off with my parents and went home to pick up a little. Then we went to dinner at Chilis, went shopping for a gift for the kids as new big brother and sister, and went to Bookmans and ArJay picked up some movies to watch on the portable DVD player with some credit we had. This time I didn't go in until 10pm ( it was 8 with the other too) so basically we just sat around trying to waste time to go in. WE got a last minute ice cream and
checked in...

No comments:

Post a Comment