Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Casa Grande Duathlon 2013

So I ran a Dualthon this last weekend. What's a duathlon you say? It's like a Triathlon but instead of swimming, you run twice. So I ran 1.5 miles, biked 10 miles, then ran 3 miles.  They had a triathlon too, they swam 400 m then did the same 10 mile bike and 3 mile run. I am NOT a swimmer. I enjoy swimming recreationally, but I DO not swim laps. I did not want to embarrass myself and drown in the lap pool, so decided to run instead. That's how bad I am, I'd rather run twice then swim once.

The race was at 7:30 am and Casa Grande is an hour and a half from my house, so I thought we'd go get a hotel the night before. I left at almost 2 so that my kids would sleep  and I could have a nice relaxing drive. So I thought. Remember this trip:http://gamblelife.blogspot.com/2013/07/note-to-self-do-not-attempt-to-drive-to.html It was a lot like that. You'd think I'd learn. Kendall didn't sleep until the last 10 minutes and took it upon himself the rest of the time to yell and keep everyone else up and crying. Anyways, we survived! I met my sponsor for Paparazzi Accessories to trade her jewelry for my launch party the next night( yes that's right, I decided it would be a good idea to have my party the same day, back at home. Genius right?) I also met some girls from my ward who were doing the race at Olive Garden for dinner...with my 3 kids who had slept an hour total between the 3 of them. Genius plan yes?

Needless to say, it was a rough night and I was a little tired the next morning before I even started. But I was proud of myself.
Here is my Top 10 things NOT to do on your first duathon:

1 Don't forget your helmet at your father in law's car in your nervousness to go set out your bike so that he has to bring it for you minutes before your race starts.

2. Don't walk around with your number and ankle strap on as soon as you get them because you are excited.  That obviously means you aren't swimming and everyone will identify you as "just doing the duathlon" (apparently that makes me a loser)

3. Don't forget how awesomely fast you can run when it's only a mile and a half in a dirt loop ( I ran 9 minute miles which is super fast for me, don't judge)

4. Don't have such a hard time getting your feet in your bike foot pedals that you have to stop in front of the teenage boys who are standing waiting to help with bike problems. They all yelled "you got this" and whooped for joy at my accomplishment of getting my feet in after a minute of trying and laughing at myself. Those boys looked at me with pity like , "wow this is going to be rough for you if you can't even get your feet in"

5. Don't make the first time you EVER IN YOUR LIFE bike 10 miles be in the race. The course was a loop and there was a shortcut at 5 miles that could have taken me back. I was thinking "Can't I just go run now? I'd rather run these 5 miles then bike them"  Also, I know it sounds impossible, but I swear I biked into the wind both ways

6 Don't think you can just borrow your mother in law's mountain bike that is sitting in the garage. It marks you as a total amateur next to all the racing bikes and you go a lot slower than them with a lot more effort. We'll just say THAT'S the only reason I was so slow ;)

7. Don't be so busy chatting to your friend when transitioning from bike to the last run that you forget to take off your helmet until she yells at you that you might want to take it off. I told her it was precaution for when i passed out on the course I wouldn't damage my brain.

8. Don't worry that your legs feel like you're pulling them thru cement at the beginning of your run after biking. It will pass.

9. Don't forget to leave some steam so you can sprint past your kids cheering you at tee finish line and fist pump and give a little victory jump as they announce your name, you rocked!

10. Don't tell everyone that you got 2nd place in your age group, but there were only two of you.  2nd place sounds a lot better than last :)

Bonus points if you have an AMAZING support system of fellow "athletes" ( those quotations are for me, they were all real athletes and awesome)  and amazing family who come watch!

From left: My Mother in law, me ( if you can't tell with  the cherry red face), Marilee, Kris, Jeanette, and Deanna

Kris, the far right, is the one who stopped me from going running with a bike helmet on. 

Getting my 2nd place prize!

1 comment:

  1. So if you're a loser because you "just" did the duathlon, what does that make me? You know, the girl who ONLY ran the 5k part of the tri as part of a TEAM? ;)

    ReplyDelete